As you probably already read, I got a great deal on a GReddy G2 Catback exhaust system for a 2001-2002 BMW 330 CI at the 2007 GReddy Garage Sale. This is my follow up blog about how to install it.
What you need:
3-piece GReddy G2 exhaust system
15mm deep socket
Penetrating lubricant (WD-40, Liquid Wrench, etc.)
Removing the stock exhaust system
1. Using a 15mm deep socket and an extension, remove the 4 bolts attaching the header and exhaust pipe. Use penetrating lube if necessary.
2. Using a 13mm socket, remove the 2 bolts above the muffler holding in each rubber exhaust hanger.
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a heavy one-piece exhaust, so prepare to have something underneath to support it before removing it completely. Since it's an at-home job, we just used extra jack stands we had sitting around.
4. Before removing the two black metal panels, note the 2 rubber mounts behind one of them. These will need to be removed from the stock exhaust and placed on the new one.
5. Remove 4 bolts on each of the 2 metal panels using a 13mm socket.
Installing the GReddy G2 exhaust system
7. Bolt on the first section of the exhaust to the header using a 15mm deep socket and an extension.
8. Replace the rubber exhaust hangers using a 13mm socket.
9. Slide in the brackets used to attach the new muffler section.
10. Using a 13mm socket, remove rubber mounts from the old exhaust.
11. Slide the rubber mounts onto the brackets of the new exhaust and replace the 2 black metal plates.
12. Finally connect the middle section using the gaskets and bolts provided with the GReddy G2 catback system.
13. Start the car up and check for any leaks. It is typical for the exhaust to smell initially because of leftover manufacturing material burning off and muffler packing burning in. Otherwise, enjoy your newer and lighter exhaust system!